Can leukemia morph from chronic to acute due to lack of treatment?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Yes it can

The best answer depends on the type of leukemia, but certainly if it is not treated any of them can get worse and go into acute phase.
Even with treatment, some leukemias will tend to go into an acute phase. I recommend talking with the primary care physician or oncologist to get individualized answers, as this is almost always a serious, serious problem.

In brief: Yes it can

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Agos Luca
Pathology

Yes, one of the classical examples is chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) that can transform in an acute leukemia (blast phase) in the absence of adequate treatment and sometimes even with treatment.

Dr. Agos Luca
Dr. Agos Luca
2 comments
Dr. Liawaty Ho
yes for CML, no for CLL
Dr. Agos Luca
Even though CLL does not transform into acute leukemia, it can still transform into more aggressive diseases like diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (Richter syndrome, 2-8%), classical Hodgkin lymphoma (<1%), B prolymphocytic leukemia (extremely rare).
Dr. Steven Seres