Can leukemia morph from chronic to acute due to lack of treatment?

Dr. Reid Blackwelder

In brief: Yes it can

The best answer depends on the type of leukemia, but certainly if it is not treated any of them can get worse and go into acute phase.
Even with treatment, some leukemias will tend to go into an acute phase. I recommend talking with the primary care physician or oncologist to get individualized answers, as this is almost always a serious, serious problem.

In brief: Yes it can

Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. Reid Blackwelder
Dr. David Rizzieri
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: Maybe

This most often comes up as an issue in cll.
Be careful there... It is not the observation of the disease that causes the progression to leukemia. In fact, early treatment is the wrong thing to do! most patients are properly observed for years before the disease progresses and needs treatment. Early exposure to chemotherapy causes more harm than good...

In brief: Maybe

Dr. David Rizzieri
Dr. David Rizzieri