I am taking wellbutrin (bupropion) for an anxiety problem and drank and had horrible anxiety and was shaking alot. Is that normal?

Dr. Gregg Albers
Addiction Medicine
In brief: Wellbutrin/Alcohol
Medication combined with alcohol can lead to a number known side effects, as well as individual effects for any given individual.
We do not recommend any alcohol use with antidepressants because of their opposite effects. I you drank a lot, and did not eat, low blood sugar may be the reaction that you had. Otherwise this is an individual reaction.

In brief: Wellbutrin/Alcohol
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Gregg Albers
Dr. Neil Liebowitz
Continued use of alcohol is the most common reason I see for antidepressants not working or stopping working.
Dr. Asa Marokus
In brief: Not a good idea
A couple of things: -wellbutrin (bupropion) is not normally first-line medication for anxiety because it acts on Dopamine receptors vs.
Ssris, which are first line as they affect serotonin, a neurotransmitter thought to be helpful in decreasing anxiety -most psychiatric medication, including wellbutrin (bupropion) are metabolized by liver as is alcohol, so can be bad for liver -alcohol can lead to rebound anxiety.

In brief: Not a good idea
Dr. Asa Marokus
Dr. Asa Marokus
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Addiction Medicine
In brief: No
It is not a good idea to drink on antidepressants like wellbutrin (bupropion).

In brief: No
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Dr. Ravi Srivastava
Dr. Eric Weisman