Is it normal to have leg swelling after total hip replacement surgery?

Can be very normal. Leg swelling after hip replacement can occur for up to 3 months after surgery. I recommend my patients use compression hose, knee high, for 3 months post-op, with periodic leg elevation above heart and head 3x/day x 20-30 minutes. Also, do not be up on the leg too much too soon after surgery. Allow your body to heal. If swelling persists and pain increases with it, then call your surgeon.
Common early. Leg swelling is caused by the arterial blood flow to your foot being better than the return flow through your veins. An important issue to rule out would be the occlusion of one of the large veins by a blood clot. Often swelling occurs without a clot -- this swelling improves a great deal with elevation of your toes above your nose.
Need evaluation. If the swelling is in the same leg as the surgery, and not in the other leg you need to be evaluated for a deep vein thrombosis (dvt). Okay to call your surgeon, and ask about an ultrasound of the leg, possible blood clot. Good luck.