My stomach is always making rumbling noises, whether or not I have just eaten. I never have much gas though. Noises are very loud. What is this?

Dr. John Edmison
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Peristalsis

Your stomach, small bowel, and colon contract throughout the day regardless of food intake.
This is a normal process and sometimes loud enough to be heard.

In brief: Peristalsis

Dr. John Edmison
Dr. John Edmison
Dr. Kristi Kohl

In brief: Borborygmi

Stomach noises are called borborygmi.
If you say it in a deep slow voice, you can understand why it was named that way. As fluid and gas moves through your stomach, it causes those noises. A more active bowel often will be noisier but it's not always associated with more gas.

In brief: Borborygmi

Stomach noises are called borborygmi.
Dr. Kristi Kohl
Dr. Kristi Kohl
Dr. Arnon Rubin