Should I take my baby to the doctor if she has a fever over 100 degrees?

Dr. Thad Woodard

In brief: Depends

Fever suggests the infant is ill but is not all that reliable in predicting the severity or danger of an illness.
A better symptom to use to gauge the need for a visit is how the infant is acting. One bothersome symptom is unusual lethargy and being difficult to arouse. This requires a visit regardless of fever. By the way fever is generally defined as a rectal temperature of 100.4f or greater.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Thad Woodard
Dr. Thad Woodard

In brief: Forget the fever...

...What else is going on? Cranky, coughing, throwing up, no appetite? It's really the other things happening along with the fever that drive the decision whether or not to see the doctor. Having said that, most people do try to have a febrile child checked as soon as they can.

In brief: Forget the fever...

Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Anatoly Belilovsky
Dr. Shontae Buffington