Can I have HSV in GI tract? And how to treat this

Dr. John Bucek

In brief: Upper GI

Hsv also known as herpes has two types.
Hsv 1 usually affects sensory nerves in the face and head. Hsv 2, the sensory nerves in the genital tract. Both viruses can infect any sensory nerve in the body so HSV 1 can be found on the hand pens/vagina. I do not know of any cases where HSV caused symptoms in the lower GI tract but it can cause out breaks in the mouth and throat.

In brief: Upper GI

Hsv also known as herpes has two types.
Dr. John Bucek
Dr. John Bucek
Dr. Cornelius Dooley

In brief: Yes, but unlikely

Hsv can infect the GI tract, but generally only in seriously immune compromised individuals, such as in the bad old days when aids was common; esophageal hsv might occur in someone with diabetes and a susceptibility to it; but very unlikely;.

In brief: Yes, but unlikely

Dr. Cornelius Dooley
Dr. Cornelius Dooley