I'm 24 and have been told I have a heart murmur does this affect me in anyway?

Dr. Kenneth Cheng
In brief: Depends
Having a heart murmur, in most cases, is of no consequence since most murmurs are slight however, it will depend on the type of murmur an the strength of the murmur. See your doctor or cardiologist for confirmation of the seriousness of your specific murmur.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Kenneth Cheng
Dr. Charles Pollick
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Not necessarily
Many young people have a "benign" murmur which basically means you can hear the normal to and fro of blood going through your heart into your body.
Sometimes, however, the murmur may indicate an abnormality of a heart valve, heart muscle. Or a hole in the heart. A cardiologist should examine you and determine if this is a benign murmur - if there is doubt, an echocardiogram will be ordered.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Charles Pollick
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Depends
How long have you had it? If it is new, you should have an echocardiogram.
Could be nothing or could be abnormal. I would recommend an echo.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Dr. Kevin Lingle
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology