Recently I read in nyt that vitamin E supplements are linked to reduced life expectancy.Scary! should we avoid e containing multivit?

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care

In brief: Avoid

Yes, a study of 35, 000 men taking vitamin E showed a higher prostate cancer risk.
Based on such evidence, men should not be taking vitamin E or vitamin E containing multivitamins.

In brief: Avoid

Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Carlo Hatem
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Anti-Aging Medicine

In brief: Im glad you ask

Vitamin e is an interesting vitamin that has had a bad reputation lately.
It is a complicated vitamin made up of 8 subunits. A recent study showed that it increases risk of prostate cancer. However theres much more to the story than the general public is aware of. Most of the vitamin E studies performed are done using synthetic vitamin e. Vitamin e from food sources havent shown to be harmful.

In brief: Im glad you ask

Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
2 comments
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
Look up delta tocotrionols and see the benefits of this particular subunit. I usually tell my patients don't supplement with vitamin E, they're mostly synthetic and unnecessary. Just FYI, the study that showed vitamin E supplementation increases likelihood of prostate cancer, was sponsored by Abbott laboratory, makers of lupron, a prostate cancer chemotherapy.
Dr. Soroosh Armandi
To directly answer your question about mutlvitamins with vitamin E. If its synthetic, avoid it. Most cheap multis use synthetic. If you can afford it, buy your vitamins separately. Do your research and see if you really need it.
Dr. Marsha Davis