Is it normal to gain 4 7 lbs in the first few days after liposuction?

Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Possible
I'm assuming you mean 4-7 lbs.
This can be from the tumescent fluid and/or the fluids that are administered intravenously during surgery. Usually this weight gain is very temporary.

In brief: Possible
I'm assuming you mean 4-7 lbs.
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. ELizabeth Kinsley
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes due to fluids
Fluid accumulation all over your body after major surgery is very common.
This is a process called third spacing and occurs quite often after trauma. This is why you may find it hard to put your ring back on in the first few days. Your body will generally eliminate the fluid on its own and diuretics (water pills) are not commonly recommended.

In brief: Yes due to fluids
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Todd Sisto
Breast Surgery
In brief: "4 7"?
If you mean 4-7 yes: it's from swelling.
Use of slim lipo, in my experience, mitigates swelling considerably.

In brief: "4 7"?
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Todd Sisto
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Depends!
I hope you don't mean 47 lbs! depending on how much fat was removed and how much fluid was instilled, as well as how much you weigh, 7 lb.
Is certainly possible. Retaining fluid for several days after any kind of surgery is a normal response to the surgical injury, and this is compounded with liposuction, where additional fluid is infiltrated at the beginning of the procedure.

In brief: Depends!
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Lipo + water weight
It is usual to gain some fluid weight immediately after any type of liposuction.
But 7 pounds is quit a lot, see your surgeon to be sure you are not fluid retaining. Over fluid retention could lead to postoperative complications of pulmonary edema, renal issues, delayed healing.

In brief: Lipo + water weight
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Dr. Darryl Blinski
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Lipo and weight gain
Swelling and early weight gain after liposuction is pretty common.
Wait a few weeks for it to subside. I assume you mean 4-7 pounds and not 47 pounds.

In brief: Lipo and weight gain
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Did you mean 4-7?
If so then yes.
Our body holds on to fluids after trauma (such as surgery) and it may take as long as 2 wks. To get rid of this excess fluid. It is abnormal to have a 47 lb weight gain!

In brief: Did you mean 4-7?
If so then yes.
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Annette Occhialini
Dr. Manish Shah
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Yes it is!
Hello, it is very common to put on a little weight after liposuction because of a phenomenon known as third-spacing.
Initially your tissues are leaky so you swell up and gain water weight. But typically after day 5 you pee out the excess fluid and start losing weight. It is important to wear a liposuction garment to enhance your results. Dr. Shah.

In brief: Yes it is!
Dr. Manish Shah
Dr. Manish Shah