I woke up several days ago with a pain in my left jaw joint. It has been difficult to open my mouth and chew. If it is TMJ what can I do?

Dr. David Mann
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: TMJ

Apply heat packs to area.
Anti-inflammatory meds like aleve (naproxen). Soft diet. If doesnt improve fast, see dentist or primary doctor. Sometimes, a short course of oral steroids is very helpful.

In brief: TMJ

Apply heat packs to area.
Dr. David Mann
Dr. David Mann
Dr. Hanford Brace

In brief: Unbalance

I bet you have been chewing on the right side of your mouth for a while and mabey a lot on that side recently? This unbalances the jaw muscles just like a weight lifter lifting only on one side and developing more power on that side compared to the other! think if that has been the case with you? You try chewing more on the opposite side from your favorite and see what happens! reply later!

In brief: Unbalance

Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Hanford Brace
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Yes,

Yes. TMJ. See a TMJ expert.
Any dentist can be a TMJ expert with the proper training and experience. Most commonly, oral surgeons, prosthodontists, and orofacial pain specialists. Ask your MD, your dentist and your dental society for referrals.

In brief: Yes,

Yes. TMJ. See a TMJ expert.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: See a Dentist

Actually i would recommend an oral surgeon.
And when you do call to make an appt be sure to grill the receptionist if the dentist specializes in TMJ evaluation and treatment. If not, hang up (respectfully) and seek someone who is a specialist.

In brief: See a Dentist

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: TMJ TMD

Temporo-mandibular syndrome is the second most frequent cause of orofacial pain after dental pain.
Proper diagnosis is the key to successful treatment. See Orofacial Pain practitioner for a consultation and treatment options and to prevent future complications.

In brief: TMJ TMD

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Daniel Quon
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial

In brief: Depends

Difficulty in opening can be related to a number of different causes, including a TMJ disorder. If you are experiencing acute pain, and your bite is off, you should see your dentist and/or an oral surgeon for evaluation.
The treatment recommended will be dependent upon what is causing your difficulty in opening.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Daniel Quon
Dr. Daniel Quon

In brief: Depends

Need to be evaluated to make sure that you truly have tmj/tmd or some other ailment, etc.
That can mimic TMJ symptoms. Should see a dentist/tmj specialist first to give you more info with a thorough history and exam.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Adam Smith