I'm 18 with no children and planning on getting an iud, what are the odds of my IUD being expelled? And is it true the pain will be much worse for me?

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Minimal
The literature suggests the spontaneous expulsion rate for iud's is about 2% to 3%.
The copper "t" iud is approved for women regardless of parity. The insertion procedure can cause some cramping, pain, and spotting - however, significant pain or discomfort during the procedure is uncommon. The benefit of the iud is that you get the most effective reversible contrception currently available.

In brief: Minimal
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
5 comments
Dr. Carolyn Thompson
Insertion of an IUD for a woman who has never had a baby may be a bit more uncomfortable than for one who has because the opening of the cervix may be more tightly closed. It is a good idea to take 800mg of ibuprofen about an hour before your appointment.
Dr. Eugene Louie-Ng
A woman at highest risk of becoming sterile because of an infection after IUD placement is one who is not in a committed, monogamous, long term relationship. If not in that type of relationship, she is at higher risk of STDs that can cause sterility.
Dr. Renee Harris
In brief: Low chance
The iud is rarely expelled and is it a very good method of birth control if you want to delay childbearing for a few years.
There is a small amount if cramping associated with insertion that goes away quickly. I usually recommend that a patient takes 2 Ibuprofen an hour or two before to help prevent the cramping. Your doctor will teach you to check for the strings to verify that it is not expelled.

In brief: Low chance
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Renee Harris
Dr. Shontae Buffington