How would I know if its my thyroid keeping me from losing weight.?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Lab Tests
If someone's thyroid levels are normal, (and they're not taking thyroid medication), their thyroid is working and they'll need to look elsewhere (usually diet & exercise) for ways to lose weight.
Similarly, if labs are normal in someone who is taking thyroid medicine, the weight problems are not related to the thyroid condition, so it's back to diet and exercise.

In brief: Lab Tests
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Melissa Young
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: TSH
A blood test called TSH is the most accurate measure of thyroid function.
Having said that, although it is often believed to be the cause of weight gain, the weight gain from hypothyroidism is generally minimal (5-10 pounds) and is mostly water weight.

In brief: TSH
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Melissa Young
Dr. Adam Smith