Did I break a bone in my foot? Yesterday I fell walking up the stairs...Horrible pains through the top of my foot and instant swelling and bruising

Dr. Glenn Skow
In brief: Possibly
While trauma can certainly lead to a fracture, the foot/ankle is a very common site for sprains/strains.
If you are unable to bear weight on that foot for more than a few steps or if ther is tenderness to touch a particular point such as the bridge of the foot or the base of the small toe, i would x-ray it to be sure. You can try icing and elevating the foot to see if there is any relief.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Glenn Skow
Dr. Glenn Skow
Dr. Mark Weston
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Get xray
Common frx of base of fifth metatarsal jones frx dancers's or ligament strain see pcp or orthopedist.

In brief: Get xray
Dr. Mark Weston
Dr. Mark Weston