I've had my menstrual period on january 1 through 4, and now got it today on january 28. That is 26 days. Is this not to early? I did travel &get cold

Dr. Andrew Malinchak

In brief: Menstrual periods

No, that is not too early.
A menstrual cycle is defined from the day you start to bleed to the next time you start to bleed again. A typical time is 28 days. You started on day 27.

In brief: Menstrual periods

No, that is not too early.
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Dr. Andrew Malinchak
Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: Cycle varies.

The average length of a menstrual cycle is 28 days (the time from the first day of one period to the first day of the next).
It is normal for there to be variation from month to month, likely due to changes in hormone release. Travel and illness may affect cycle length as well.

In brief: Cycle varies.

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Nicole Bressler
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Variation

Menstrual cycles do not have to be exactly 28 days apart.
It is normal for it occur with some variation from month to month. Stress, body weight, and other factors can also play a role in your menstrual cycle timing/length of period. If you are concerned or see drastic changes in your cycle, it is best to see your ob/gyn.

In brief: Variation

Nicole Bressler
Nicole Bressler
Answer assisted by Nicole Bressler, Medical Student
Dr. Adam Levy