What causes my ankles to swell?

Many causes. It could be as simple as venous insufficiency due to age, especially in women to heart-failure, renal disease, liver disease and poor diet. It would be a good idea to consult your doctor.
Heart failure common. Several reasons for swollen ankles, such as heart failure, liver disease, kidney disease and vascurlar diseases etc.
Many possibilities. High blood pressure, side effect of medication, too much salt in diet, cardiac or kidney issues, incompetent venous valves - see an internist to help narrow the field.