Why do I have swollen lymph nodes?

Dr. Michael Miller
Wound care

In brief: Monitoring Centers

Lymphatic system absorbs/carries things too big to go into the arteries/veins like bacteria eaten by white cells and digested food.
Lymph nodes "taste" the lymph for anything bad like bacteria, viruses, cancers, etc. When it detects a problem, it alerts the immune system and your body reacts. They enlarge in response to the inflammation they create when they react. They shrink when all is well.

In brief: Monitoring Centers

Dr. Michael Miller
Dr. Michael Miller
Pathology

In brief: Many causes

Almost everyone has at least one palpable lymph node in the neck, more if you're had a cold or sore throat recently.
I own a 1/2" scarred node that i let people feel for reassurance. If a node feels rubbery or is fixed to the surrounding structures or last more than a week, it's time to investigate. Nodes around the body warn of infectious mono / acute HIV or a few other infections. Good luck.

In brief: Many causes

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine