What will happen if a cvid patient stops infusions? Can they try antibiotic therapy in place of infusions if they are achy, fatigued and still get sic

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Difficult

Cvid is significant, but I do have some of my cvid patients on a strictly "watch and treat" approach.
This is entirely a decision for you and your immunologist to make together. Igiv is the best therapy we currently have and using antibiotics can lead to future resistance. Have you tried other igiv or scig therapies before stopping all treatment?

In brief: Difficult

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
3 comments
Dr. Jack Mutnick
2 years is long enough. Gammunex and Gammagard both now offer SC methods. And newer ones are in the pipeline. Vivaglobin was replaced by Hizentra. Maybe the dose is too low, maybe you need a different dosing schedule because ur troughs are dropping too quickly. And maybe you just need an added daily prophylactic antibiotic to keep those darn infections at bay
Dr. Jeffrey Rosch
Realize also that IgG replacement therapy is passive immunity. Unlike an individual with normal humeral (antibody) function that adapts the antibody response to the particular infection, passive immunity has no adaptive ability. It is entirely dependent on the donors combined exposures prior to donating their blood. It's good, but not as good
Dr. Anlin Xu

In brief: Not recommended

Igg supplimentation through IV or subcutaneous routes are the main treatment with cvid patients.
Unfortunately, it is not curative. Once the infusion stops, patient's IgG level slowly goes back to suboptimal level. They can develop infections again, sometimes serious. Once they develop infection, antibiotic is needed. But antibiotic alone sometimes is not enough.

In brief: Not recommended

Dr. Anlin Xu
Dr. Anlin Xu
Dr. Andrew Murphy

In brief: Speak with your Doc

Cvid is a deficiency in antibodies that you need to fight infections.
There may be various degrees of risk in one stops treatment. For example if your IgG level is extremely low you may be at higher risk than someone with a higher IgG level. Discuss you symptoms and treatment with your doc. A second opinion could also be helpful but don't just stop and see what happens.

In brief: Speak with your Doc

Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Andrew Murphy
Dr. Arnon Rubin