I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility, my doctor prescribed me clomid (clomiphene). What does it do and how successful is it for unexplained infertility?

Dr. Michael Opsahl
Fertility Medicine
In brief: UI and Clomid (clomiphene)
We use Clomid (clomiphene) for unexplained infertility to purposely cause you release multiple eggs instead of just 1 egg.
The theory is that if you cannot conceive with 1 egg each month then we may be able to boost the success with several eggs. Clomid (clomiphene) is a good drug because it is cheap, never cause an "octomom" and thus does not need much (but some) monitoring. It usually works in 3-4 cycles.

In brief: UI and Clomid (clomiphene)
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Michael Opsahl
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Depends on the cause
Clomid (clomiphene) works primarily by stimulating ovulation (release of egg[s] from the ovary).
If anovulation is the problem, Clomid (clomiphene) can be very effective, and because of its relative safety, it is often used. However, if Clomid (clomiphene) is used empirically (as a trial without a clear diagnosis of anovulation), the rate of success depends on the likelihood that ovulation is the problem and is difficult to predict.

In brief: Depends on the cause
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham