I have pcos... And I want to conceive... My periods are irregular.. Once a yr if that ....What should I do besides the obvious?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: OB/GYN

Women with very irregular periods who want to conceive should begin with ob/gyn.
There is a considerable arsenal of treatment, and many women with pcos eventually conceive, but therapies need to be individualized, and require detailed history, with possibly testing for hormone levels, etc to target appropriately.

In brief: OB/GYN

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
PCOS is a condition that causes irregular periods and inability to conceive temporarily. It also puts you at increased risk for diabetes. Aside from getting you to have regular periods , try to avoid causes of PCOS like excessive weight gain, chemicals like Bisphenol A (BPA) and cooking in non-stick pans or teflon. BPA are known to be hormone disruptors and may cause you to have irregular periods
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham

In brief: See your doctor.

There are medications that can induce ovulation, that is the most expedient way to overcome pcos and improve the chance for conception.
If you are overweight, weight loss can improve your chances of conceiving - that can of course can take much longer. If ovulation induction doesn't work, you can cosider ivf by an infertility specialist. To start the process, see your gynecologist.

In brief: See your doctor.

Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Jane Van Dis