I have bever been to the obgyn im 23 and I am afraid of showing a dr my vagina am I being selfish?

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: No

Patients have varying comfort levels with ob/gyns.
Perhaps you could ask around for recommendations for a doctor who is particularly good. Make an appointment and get to know your doctor. Then, when you feel comfortable and if your doctor deems it necessary, you can discuss having a gynecologic exam.

In brief: No

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Not selfish. . .

It's natural to have some apprehension about a first vaginal/pelvic examination.
However, by age 23 even celibate women should have screening pap smears to help prevent cervical cancer. Physicians understand reluctance around this exam, are trained to help put patients at ease, and will treat pelvic examination with care, as professionally and routinely as listening to the lungs.

In brief: Not selfish. . .

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham