Can I gain muscle if I drink a lot of water after a heavy workout session instead of consuming protein?

Dr. Ty Endean
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Nutrition
You need to both supply fuel (protein, carbohydrates, fat) to your muscle tissue after exercise for them to grow.
But you also need to hydrate to help take away the toxins you produced during exercise.

In brief: Nutrition
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Ty Endean
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics
In brief: Yes, not optimal
There is nothing wrong with drinking water after working out of any kind, but water alone does not contribute directly to muscle mass.
Eating some protein within 30 min of completion helps improve recovery and may contribute to muscle building. Most importantly, follow a balanced diet, and avoid supplements; having lean proteins as a dietary staple is good for health and for athletic performance.

In brief: Yes, not optimal
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine