What are the long term effects of taking miralax (polyethylene glycol)?

Not much . Miralax (polyethylene glycol) is generally felt to be ok for long term use. There are other laxatives, called stimulant laxatives that can cause problems. Miralax (polyethylene glycol) seems to work safely as it is not absorbed by the gut. It draws water in, thereby keeping stools soft without affecting other systems or adversely affecting the intestine as it "passes through" the GI tract.
None if... Used. As prescribed, MiraLAX (polyethylene glycol) has been shown to be safe and effective. It's even been recommended as the number one choice for children also.