Swelling of right leg with a dvt. Now I have my right leg swollen and hard. I also have pulmonary embolisms. What could you suggest.

Dr. John Landi
Phlebology

In brief: DVT/leg swelling

Swelling of the leg following DVT is due to the vein in the leg having a clot which is blocking the return of the blood.
The amount of time required for the swelling to subside depends on many factors-the extent of the clot and the veins involved. Larger veins involved and more extensive clots will take longer to resolve. Sometimes the swelling could be permanent. See a vein specialist.

In brief: DVT/leg swelling

Dr. Timothy Wu
Surgery - Vascular

In brief: Immediate evaluation

With a history of DVT and pulmonary emboli (pes) i'd assume that you were or currently are on anticoagulation.
A leg that previously had a DVT but is swollen and hard now may be either a new acute dvt, in which case you need to be back on anticoagulation or your current regimen has to be modified. Or this can be post-thrombotic syndrome, which is much less serious. I'd suggest going to the er.

In brief: Immediate evaluation

In brief: Anticoagulation

Treat now. Elevation and stockings to reduce swelling in the affected leg.
Activity - flexion extension of foot and calf on non affected leg. Find the underlying cause- coagulopathies reduce risk factors obesity smoking sedentary lifestyle.

In brief: Anticoagulation

Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology