What is vaginitis?

Infection & other. Vagin"itis" means inflammation of the vagina; the symptoms often include abnormal discharge and irritation. It can be caused by organisms either not present there normally or present in only small numbers (yeast, trichomonas, some bacterial types). Lack of estrogen after menopause and certain autoimmune disorders can also cause a similar problem.
See below. Vaginitis means inflammation of the vagina it has several different causes yeast infection, trichomonas infection and bacterial vaginosis are the most common causes. The symptoms include vaginal discharge, irritation, odor, itching, burning on urination and discomfort with intercourse.