How can I tell if my baby has rsv?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: Severe cold symptoms
Rsv may cause a common cold in some children.
However in young infants, RSV may cause much more severe cold symptoms (associated with marked nasal drainage and congestion, difficulty breathing with wheezing, grunting, retractions in the chest). If your baby is struggling to breathe, it is best to contact your doctor for her to be seen in case the infection may be due to rsv.

In brief: Severe cold symptoms
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Charlene Sojico
In brief: Getting Tested
Normally i don't do any tests.
I treat them base on clinical findings, unless asymptomatic, just observe and give supportive treatment. I only run test , RSV wash when they are admitted to the hospital and for documentation. The test can come back negative 3-4 times before it turn positive, why waste the money?Test is not going to change treatment.Make child feel better.

In brief: Getting Tested
Normally i don't do any tests.
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Charlene Sojico
Dr. Pamela Lindor
In brief: Wheezy
Rsv is a very common respiratory virus, especially from october through march.
It affects young infants, and often causes a long lasting "cold" with significant wheezing and harsh cough. If your baby has a cough and runny nose, is having trouble sleeping or eating, or sounds wheezy, see your pediatrician.

In brief: Wheezy
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
In brief: See a doctor
The baby needs to see the doctor to have their lungs listened to to evaluate if the child is wheezing.
Your doctor might have the capabilities to test for it in the office or send a nasal swab to the lab to test for it.

In brief: See a doctor
Dr. Jonathan Jassey
Dr. Jonathan Jassey