I just read that if your blood pressure is 120/80 is considered prehypertension. I thought 120/80 was optimal. Should I be concerned?

Marianne DiNapoli

In brief: 120/80 and up

An optimal blood pressure is less than 120/80.
Anything from 120/80 to 139/89 is prehypertension. 140/90 and up is hypertension. Eating a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, exercising, and cutting back on alcohol/smoking are great ways to make sure your blood pressure stays in the healthy range.

In brief: 120/80 and up

Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Luis Villaplana

In brief: No

Listen, that blood pressure is fine.
However, it won't stay fine if you smoke, drink too much, eat crap, and don't exercise. Keep it there and you should be fine.

In brief: No

Listen, that blood pressure is fine.
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Luis Villaplana
Dr. Tonga Nfor
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology