How can I tell if my baby has an ear infection?

Dr. Alan Greene
In brief: Examine the eardrum
The hallmark of an acute middle ear infection (acute otitis media, or aom) is sudden onset of pain in the ear, sometimes with a fever or stuffy nose.
The pain tends to be worse during the night hours and while lying down. In babies, the first sign may be obviously worse sleep. Your doctor can examine the ear and tell you if your baby has the fluid and redness in the ear that signal an infection.

In brief: Examine the eardrum
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Alan Greene
Dr. Pamela Lindor
In brief: Fussy
All babies play with their ears at times! this is not usually a sign of ear infection.
The most common signs are fussiness, runny nose or congestion, change in eating and sleeping habits and pain with lying down flat. A baby can have an ear infection with or without a fever, so if you see the above symptoms, check with your doctor.

In brief: Fussy
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Pamela Lindor
Dr. Shontae Buffington