I'm married, 18, healthy, regular periods and have no children. I'm interested in iud's since they seem worry-free. Which is recommended for me?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Either one
Iuds are a great option for long acting reversible contraception.
There are two major options for iuds: Mirena (levonorgestrel) and paragard. The Mirena (levonorgestrel) lasts 5 years, releases a small amount of hormone in the uterus, and causes lighter periods (some women stop menstruating altogether). Paragard lasts 10 years, contains copper, and can cause heavier periods. Discuss with your dr. Which is the best option for you.

In brief: Either one
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Shontae Buffington