Does my baby need antibiotics if he has an ear infection?

Define "infection" The presence of middle ear fluid is a common finding in infancy and studies find as many as 40% have it for up to 3 months without invasion by germs. Some infants get a mild viral middle ear infection that self clears in about 3 days & no meds are needed. When the process involves germs that turn middle ear fluid to pus, which the doc can see on exam, it will need antibiotics.
Not necessarily. If he is under 6 months i woul say yes.Older kids with mild symptoms need close follow up.
Probably. Most babies under age two with an ear infection need antibiotics as part of their treatment. There is a high rate of bacterial infection with ears, and if not treated, the infection can spread or damage the ear. Older children with mild symptoms can sometimes be managed without antibiotics. Ask you pediatrician if this is an option.
Not necessarily. Ear infections that aren't causing pain may clear without antibiotics (or the risks that antibiotics carry for allergic reactions, germ resistance building, diarrhea, etc.) See your pediatrician to determine whether an antibiotic is needed or if careful watching may be just as good - or better!