Should I count my light brownish discharge as a period?

Dr. Timothy Gorski

In brief: Maybe

If you are on birth control pills or using the Mirena (levonorgestrel) iud a period can be so light that it amounts to spotting.
The brown color just means that the blood has been in the vagina for a while. On the other hand, if you are not using contraception then this may not be a period. When physicians think of a "period" we mean the bleeding a woman gets when she ovulates but does not conceive that month.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Timothy Gorski
Dr. Kamlesh Desai

In brief: Menses

If your discharge only occurs for a few days then spontaneously resolves, it is a light menses, otherwise it is something that needs to be investigated further with your physician.

In brief: Menses

Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Kamlesh Desai
Dr. Adam Levy