I tore (2nd degree) while giving birth, are my chances more or less that i'll tear next time?

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
In brief: Less
A second degree tear for a first time mom is pretty average.
Generally the second time around you will tear less, unless the second baby is significantly bigger.

In brief: Less
Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Pathology
In brief: Probably less
The risk of tear depends on the elasticity of pelvic tissues, the size of baby's head, the pace of delivery etc.
The pelvic tissues were stretched before tearing and unless there was inordinate scarring are likely to be more pliable thus reducing the risk of a repeat tear. The one unknown is the quality of scar. Scar tissue is usually weaker than normal tissue and may give way sooner.

In brief: Probably less
Dr. Jane Van Dis