Do multiple café-au-lait spots on my baby's skin mean he has a serious disease?

Dr. Lisa Roberts
In brief: Maybe
It is best to talk with your doctor if you notice a large number of cafe-au-lait spots.
A few may not be a sign of any underlying illness (my daughter has a huge one since birth on her trunk). However, multiple spots may can be a sign of a rare conditoin called "neurofibromatosis". There are other features that are associated with this condition so consult your doctor if you have any concerns.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Lisa Roberts
Dr. Russell Faust
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Not necessarily
Multiple "cafe-au-lait" spots on your baby's skin may be simply that - benign spots of pigmentation.
It is estimated that about 20% of the population has them. Multiple cafe-au-lait spots can also be associated with some rare disorders, including neurofibromatosis. See dr. Greene's blog article for more: http://bit.Ly/fwszi1 and ask your pediatrician.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Russell Faust
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: Possibly
Although it is common for children to have a cafe-au-lait spot or two, more than 5 might be an indication of neurofibromatosis (nf).
It is important to remember that cafe-au-lait spots by themselves are not diagnostic of nf. Other criteria are required as well, such as a relative with nf, lisch modules, neurofibromas, etc. Please check with your doctor.

In brief: Possibly
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Shontae Buffington