I work in a dietary setting where I constantly am washing my hands. Is there any way that I can combat the dry skin that comes from repeated washing?

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dermatology

In brief: Could be eczema

Many people have jobs where there hands are exposed to water, detergents, chemicals, and never have any complaints of drying and irritation.
Your problem may actually be an allergy of your hand skin, from either certain chemicals, or possible even an internal allergy, called eczema or psoriasis, which cause hand drying and rashes. You can se gloves and hand creams, and also try a cortisone cream.

In brief: Could be eczema

Dr. Richard Feinstein
Dr. Richard Feinstein
David Miller

In brief: Lots of lotion

Use lots of hand lotion at every opportunity.
There are also a variety of lotion soaps as well as hand sanitizers with lotion. These can all help with the dry skin. You might also try using cooler water as hot water can tend to dry out skin faster.

In brief: Lots of lotion

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Lawrence Kale
Occupational Medicine

In brief: Use hand lotion

To help prevent the dry, cracking hands from frequent hand washing, use hand lotion after each washing, such as vaseline intensive care.
If you are able to use a less harsh soap, that may also be an option.

In brief: Use hand lotion

Dr. Lawrence Kale
Dr. Lawrence Kale
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Emollients

Every time you wash your hands you need to use a moisturizer like over the counter cerave cream.

In brief: Emollients

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher