I have had a cough for 6 weeks after having a cold. Should I be concerned?

David Miller

In brief: Bronchitis

This sounds like your cold moved into your chest and how you have bronchitis.
This typically last for about a month but last 6 weeks or longer in about 25% of folks. It is usually caused by a virus so antibiotics won't help much. You should see your doc to make sure you haven't developed pneumonia or one of the more common forms of bronchitis known as asthma (or cough variant asthma).

In brief: Bronchitis

David Miller
David Miller
Answer assisted by David Miller, Medical Student
Dr. Brian Novick
A simple breathing test can help determine this..and then medications can be given to reduce the cough.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Cough

Could also be asthma.
I agree entirely with dr. Chappell.

In brief: Cough

Could also be asthma.
I agree entirely with dr. Chappell.
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Sue Ferranti

In brief: Treatable problem

Sometimes, after an upper respiratory infection, the airways become more sensitive than normal and bronchospasm occurs manifested by a dry, hacking cough that can last weeks to months.
This can be treated with a bronchodilator inhaler as well as a steroid inhaler. You would use the inhalers regularly until the cough is under control and then use them as needed if the cough returns. Treatable.

In brief: Treatable problem

Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. Sue Ferranti
Dr. James Glauber
I agree but other causes of the cough are possible, such as a sinus infection. You should consult with your doctor.
Dr. Steven Seres