I have a bunion on my foot. My big toe on the same foot has been numb for a few days. What could be causing the numbness?

Dr. Daniel Farber
Orthopedic Surgery - Foot & Ankle

In brief: Nerve irritation

There is a nerve that runs over the top outside part of the big toe joint.
It can stretched over the bump of the bunion and shoes that put pressure on that spot can make the toe get numb. Usually wearing wide toes shoes for a whole or no shoes will help it recover.

In brief: Nerve irritation

Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Daniel Farber
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Podiatry

In brief: Few things

Local nerve irritation, anterior tarsal tunnel syndrome, possible back problem, possible sign of a systemic disease.
I would see a podiatrist to help differentiate.

In brief: Few things

Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Dr. Jeffrey Kass
Pathology

In brief: Risk of damage

It is not easy to determine why your toe may be numb, from the information provided.
However a numb toe could lead to unrecognized injury and infection. You need to be checked for nerve damage and diabetes.

In brief: Risk of damage

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery