What are the survival rates for ovarian cancer?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Depends on stage
Unfortunately, the survival rates for advanced ovarian cancer remain poor, despite advances in treatment.
The overall survival at 5 years is 46%. However, survival varies greatly depending on the stage at diagnosis. Those diagnosed at stage I have a 5 year survival rate of around 80%, stage ii is around 55%, stage iii is around 30%, and stage IV is around 10%.

In brief: Depends on stage
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
2 comments
Dr. Richard Orr
The survival may also depend on the abilities of the first surgeon that operates on you. We try to remove as much tumor as possible (debulking). Gynecologic oncologists are the most qualified to do this procedure, although some surgical oncologists have experience in this area, as well.
Dr. Stanley Weiss
I concur that the initial surgery is a critical aspect. Subsequent therapy can improve life span & quality of life. It's important to catch ovarian cancer as early as possible. If there is a family history or a known genetic predisposition, careful follow-up is important. In addition, if a hysterectectomy is under consideration, removal of the ovaries and tubes should be carefully considered.
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Pathology
In brief: Variable
There are many different types of ovarian cancers and survival depends of type, how far the cancer has advanced (stage) and each persons response to treatment.
For the most common ovarian cancers, expect 95% survival at 5-years if early stage but less than 20% if advanced stage.

In brief: Variable
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Chakshu Gupta
Dr. Jane Van Dis