My newborn umblical cord fell off today, what's the best way to take care of her new belly button?

Mike Moore
In brief: Clean gently
Clean gently with soap and water. Make sure you rinse and dry it.
That should be all you need to do. If it starts to get irritated or infected, see your family physician or pediatrician right away!

In brief: Clean gently
Mike Moore
Mike Moore
Answer assisted by Mike Moore, Medical Student
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Pediatrics - Neonatology
In brief: Alcohol wipes
I always tell my parents to wipe the cord stump with alcohol wipes with each diaper change until it is completely dries out.
Especially re-reinforce to them not give submerging baths until it is completely dry.

In brief: Alcohol wipes
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Cristina Carballo
Dr. Bradley Younggren
Emergency Medicine
In brief: Umbilical Care
Keep it dry. Roll down the diapers to it is not covered up.
Some recommend rubbing alcohol on the belly button area four times a day for the next week which helps keep it dry.

In brief: Umbilical Care
Dr. Bradley Younggren
Dr. Bradley Younggren
Dr. Cindy Juster