Is it safe to take prenatal vitamins containing folic acid and folic acid tablets?

Absolutely. Folic acid is a normal component of most prenatal vitamins. An adequate intake of Folic Acid can help prevent neural tube defects which can lead to spinal cord and nervous system problems. Stick to the recommended daily allowance (rda) on the package. Taking too much may lead to other problems.
Folic acid. Folic acid is an essential vitamin for proper metabolism. It may also decrease your risk of heart disease. However, some people are unable to metabolize Folic Acid and may have to take a different form of the supplement in its active form.