Are people with blue eyes more sensitive to light?

Dr. Christopher Hood
Ophthalmology

In brief: Yes in my experience

I don't have any scientific data to support me, but my blue eyed patients seem to report more sensitivity to light than those patients with brown eyes.

In brief: Yes in my experience

Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Christopher Hood
Dr. Glenn Skow

In brief: Not usually

Not necesarily. Typically it is more the light hair or fair skin people who tend to be more sensitive to sunlight.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Glenn Skow
Dr. Glenn Skow
Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Missing layer

Blue eyes are due to a missing layer of pigment in the eye.
Fair skin, fair hair, light eyes=less pigment and more sensitivity to light. But visual light sensitivity can occur in any patient with dry eyes, inflamation, cataracts and other eye problems.

In brief: Missing layer

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. John Jarstad
Ophthalmology

The less pigmented a person's iris the more light sensitive they will be.
This is why babies and albinos are the most sensitive to sunlight.

Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. John Jarstad
Dr. U Krishnan
Ophthalmology

In brief: In general, yes

The iris is pigmented - this pigment absorbs light, which minimizes the amount of light that gets into the back of the eye (to a degree).
People with blue eyes have less pigment on their iris than people with brown eyes.

In brief: In general, yes

Dr. U Krishnan
Dr. U Krishnan
Dr. Jack Hinkle