Why are there still many doctors who have never heard of interstitial cystitis?

Dx of Exclusion. Interstitial cystitis (ic) is defined by a cluster of symptoms: urgency, frequency and bladder pain, which is only temporarily relieved by emptying. Urologists often see this entity and related syndromes of chronic painful bladder (cpb). Diagnosis results from exhausting other possible causes. Treatment is difficult, tailored to the patient and often inadequate. Seek support group help.
Atypical diagnosis. Interstitial cystitis, is somewhat rare, without any clear diagnostic criteria. Hard to identify things that don't have a clear definition. There isn't a great test for it either.