My child recently developed a callus on her heal. I shaved it down and probed with a needle, but didn't find a fb. The callus came back. Suggestions?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Shoes?

Calluses arise in response to recurrent, minor trauma.
Footwear that is too loose or tight can contribute; frequent bare feet can as well. In general, changing exposures and leaving it alone is best. No harm is likely to come of this, but poking with a needle can cause harm.

In brief: Shoes?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley

In brief: Wart?

Are you sure that the callus isn't a wart? I'd suggest that you have your doctor look at it.
Plantar warts and calluses look similiar, but are treated differently. The 'fingerprint lines' of a wart are interrupted by a wart, but are continuous in a callus. Warts are caused by viruses, are contagious and can spread. Calluses are thickening of skin over an area of repeated friction/pressure.

In brief: Wart?

Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: May we a wart.

Many things can cause calluses.
Some reasons that one may develop a callus include: viral infections (warts), friction, pressure, repedetive trauma, and a limitation of joint motion. Some genetic conditions may also cause people to develop calluses on the hands and the feet. Treatment depends on the cause of the problem. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: May we a wart.

Many things can cause calluses.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Shontae Buffington