Can I massage my breast to help loosen a clogged milk duct?

Dr. Rakhi Dimino

In brief: Clogged duct

Take a warm shower, then massage breast where clog is toward the nipple.
Continue to nurse. If possible try to rotate baby's position so the nose is toward the clog. Call your doctor if fever. If getting them often, avoid tight or underwire bra and don't skip feeds. If pumping and getting often, increase the diameter of the phalange. It can take a couple days to get clog out.

In brief: Clogged duct

Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Rakhi Dimino
Dr. Amy Herold

Clogged milk ducts can cause painful hard areas on the breast.
To relieve them, try warm compresses, anti-inflammatory medication like Ibuprofen or Naproxen and gentle massage. Continue to feed the baby. Some lactation nurses recommend the supplement, lecithin, three times a day to improve milk flow through clogged ducts.

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold