I have a cyst in my left knee close to the medial meniscus. There is no meniscus tear (confirmed via MRI & arthroscopy). Could it be a ganglion cyst?

Dr. Shahid Rafique

In brief: Meniscus cyst

The location you have mentioned is more likely to be a cyst of the meniscus.
A ganglion cyst of the joint is possible but knee is a very uncommon location for it.

In brief: Meniscus cyst

Dr. Shahid Rafique
Dr. Shahid Rafique
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Ganglion cyst

A meniscal cyst is a well-defined cystic lesion located along the peripheral margin of the meniscus, a part of the knee, nearly always associated with horizontal meniscal tears.
But some time developed without meniscus tear, I have seen myself several times. Our could a ganglion cyst also. Good luck.

In brief: Ganglion cyst

Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Ahmad M Hadied
Dr. Brett Spain
Sports Medicine

It could be a ganglion, although meniscal cysts are relatively common, and the difference is probably not important.
Speak to your orthopedist if you are in pain to explore your treatment options.

Dr. Brett Spain
Dr. Brett Spain