I am 23, have sle with many organ involvement, & have not responded to any treatments my rheum. Has tried. Am I going to be okay?

Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Clarify diagnosis
There are many manifestations of lupus, but people with lupus are normal people who happen to have lupus.
Some of your problems may not be lupus. On the other hand the first fda approved drug of lupus, in 50 + years is now available. In the correct setting the drug, Benlysta (belimumab) is a medication that may be indicated depending on the clarification of your diagnosis. We need to clarify.

In brief: Clarify diagnosis
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine
In brief: I hope so but...
This answer may be somewhat controversial.
Conventional medicine has very limited success in treating sle, using powerful medicines with potentially serious side effects to try to suppress/slow progression of sle with no idea of actually curing it. Since you have not responded to standard treatment it would be reasonable to try a more holistic/alternative approach. See my comments for more info.

In brief: I hope so but...
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
3 comments
Dr. Randy Baker
A main reason I practice holistic medicine is that it's often much more successful in treating complex chronic diseases like SLE by addressing the underlying causes of illness. Autoimmune disease is usually caused by a combination of genetic predisposition, chronic infections & environmental toxins. A good holistic physician will address these factors that are often ignored by mainstream docs...
Dr. Randy Baker
A good resource is the book The Autoimmune Epidemic by Donna Jackson Nakazawa. Many good articles on alternative approaches to autoimmune diseases can be found at http://www.arthritistrust.org/menu_list/articlesimportant.html. Homeopathy and Chinese Medicine may be helpful modalities. A good place to find Board Certified Holistic physicians is at http://www.abihm.org/search-doctors. Good Luck!!!
Dr. Peter Kurzweil