How long do I have to be before I can hear my babys heart beat?

Marianne DiNapoli
In brief: Around 10 weeks
Around 10 weeks gestation, the fetus' heart is big enough to be able to hear it using a doppler ultrasound.

In brief: Around 10 weeks
Marianne DiNapoli
Marianne DiNapoli
Answer assisted by Marianne Di Napoli, Medical Student
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
In brief: Sono 6 weeks
Most current transvaginal ultrasound machines can detect a fetal heart beat at 6 weeks.
While most portable dopplers will be able to pick up the fetal heartbeat at about nine to ten weeks. However for some patients, it can twelve weeks or later before the fetal heartbeat can be detected reliably. With a stethoscope, the fetal heartbeat may not be heard until after 18 weeks gestation.

In brief: Sono 6 weeks
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
In brief: Fetal heart
It all depends on the instrument that you are using.
A good transvaginal ultrasound will pick it up early in the first trimester. If the machine is capable of audio translation, you can hear it and document it at the same time.

In brief: Fetal heart
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. CESAR HOLGADO
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology