Are there any known bad side effects or death from smoking marijuana?

Emily Lu

In brief: Lung cancer & psych

Long-term effects of marijuana use include lung cancer (since marijuana smoking, like cigarette smoking, includes tar), dental problems, and the development/exacerbation of psychosis.
On the short-term though, there is no significant mortality due to marijuana use and no deaths from marijuana overdose have ever been reported.

In brief: Lung cancer & psych

Emily Lu
Emily Lu
Answer assisted by Emily Lu, Medical Student
Dr. Elizabeth Black
Although I agree that those long term effects are possible, we don't actually have appropriate research to be able to comment in my opinion
Dr. Douglas Ballan
Addiction Medicine

In brief: YES

In some ways, worse than smoking tobacco because you hold the smoke in the lungs.
Addictive and long list of health problems that shorten lifespan.

In brief: YES

Dr. Douglas Ballan
Dr. Douglas Ballan
Dr. Elizabeth Black
As I stated above and below, we need to be careful not to be providing answers to questions that have no basis in research. As this substance is only available illegally in most situations, no appropriate prospective research on benefits or ill effects is available. it is all anecdotal. All we can say is that there are no know fatalities.
Dr. Elizabeth Black

In brief: Yes and no

I am not aware of any deaths directly related, but there are likely associated deaths such as driving or operating machinery while under the influence.
Like any chemical there are potential adverse effects and as mja is presently illegal federally and in most states, there is not much good quality research to even answer you adequately. Please ask congress to support appropriate research!

In brief: Yes and no

Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. Elizabeth Black
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology

In brief: Weed side effects

"smoked marijuana damages the brain, heart, lungs, and immune system. It impairs learning and interferes with memory, perception, and judgment.
Smoked marijuana contains cancer-causing compounds and has been implicated in a high percentage of automobile crashes and workplace accidents.".

In brief: Weed side effects

Dr. Michael Fisher
Dr. Michael Fisher