What is the bestover the counter medicine to take if I can't fall asleep and stay sleep but I am tired?

Dr. Eric Anderson
In brief: OTC sleep aids
Not sure about the best ones, but i often suggest either melatonin (3-5 mg before bed) or good old-fashioned Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to my patients who cannot sleep well.
It is also important to make sure your sleep hygiene is good - like not watching tv or exercising right before bed, getting to bed and getting up at consistent times, etc.

In brief: OTC sleep aids
Dr. Eric Anderson
Dr. Eric Anderson
Dr. Kimberly Erway
In brief: Avoid Medicine
The best medicine for sleep is: no medicine at all.
Most sleep problems are the result of bad sleep habits, use of caffeine, exercising or watching tv , the computer - or your iphone before bed, etc. Go on the internet and look up "sleep hygiene" and try some lifestyle changes. If you're sick and its just a one night thing, Benadryl (diphenhydramine) is ok, otherwise, see a dr if changing your habits doesnt work.

In brief: Avoid Medicine
Dr. Kimberly Erway
Dr. Kimberly Erway
Dr. Vicken Poochikian