Will I have an easier natural birth if my previous birth was a large baby?

Dr. Amy Herold

In brief: Not necessarily

Second babies usually come quicker and with less problems during delivery than first babies.
There are always exceptions to this though. If you have a history of a large baby and this one is smaller, your birth experience may be easier. If you are prone to making large babies and this baby is big too, there is still a chance of difficulties at birth, such as shoulder dystocia and tears.

In brief: Not necessarily

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Richard Pollard
Anesthesiology

In brief: See below

Actually your next baby could be the same size or even bigger. The fact that you have gone through one birth will make the second easier because you will not be surprised by anything that occurs during this delivery.

In brief: See below

Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Richard Pollard
Dr. Adam Levy