What causes an increase in heart rate when exercising at high intensity? My heart rate went from 180 to 220.

Normal response. But that is too high for you -- your maximum should be no more than 180 and keep it there for about 30 minutes for a proper cardio or aerobic exercise -- and do it regularly 3 times a week -- as you get fitter, your heart rate will lower and it will take longer and higher intensity to get to your maximum heart rate -- don't overstress your heart in a hurry -- it's not a goal but a lifestyle.